Draft Portarlington Regeneration Strategy
Draft Portarlington Regeneration Strategy 2030
A live webinar will be held on Monday 17th May at 7pm until 9pm to present and discuss the Draft Strategy. To register for this event, please click here or on the image below.
On the 19th April 2021, Laois County Council was advised of their successful application to secure funding for the restoration and reuse of the Market House under the Rural Regeneration Fund 2021. In tandem with this, the Draft Portarlington Regeneration Strategy 2030 has been prepared and informed by public consultation which took place at the end of 2020. This Draft Strategy has been prepared by Downey Planning & Architecture, in collaboration with MESH Architects, Wilson Architecture, TOBIN Consulting Engineers, and Irish Archaeological Consultancy Ltd on behalf of Laois County Council.
The key objectives of the Strategy are to evaluate the potential to:
- Develop a vision for Portarlington town centre and public realm, with a focus on the historic Market House and Square, Main Street, Spa Street, and French Church Street, including proposals for public spaces, public buildings, parks and walkways.
Develop proposals to connect the historic core with adjacent amenities, including People’s Park, River Barrow, Leisure and Community Centres, and play areas, and with the community amenity at
Derryounce Bog by identifying priority pedestrian and cycle linkages.
- Identify key opportunity sites for enhancement and connection, where new residential or mixed-use development could promote opportunities for the Town Centre to help create more compact growth within the study area and address the current vacancy issues within the Town.
- Traffic management of the town’s historical centre aiming at prioritising the pedestrians, including speed reduction, space sharing and traffic calming.
- Improve the public realm to increase biodiversity and promote safe, enjoyable, and environmentally friendly modes of transport.
The Draft Strategy will be on public display from Wednesday the 28th of April 2021 to Monday the 24th of May 2021 at 17.00pm. You can access the Draft Strategy on Laois County Council's consultation portal here at www.consult.laois.ie.
Laois County Council are inviting submissions and observations from members of the public and other interested parties. Written observations or submissions should be marked "Draft Portarlington Regeneration Strategy 2030", and submitted through the following options:
- here on the consultation portal by clicking on the 'make a submission' tab
- via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- in writing addressed to: Senior Planner, Planning Department, Laois County Council, Áras an Chontae, Jamed Fintan Lalor Avenue, Portlaoise, Co. Laois R32 EHP9.